Thursday 31 July 2014

T-shirt DIY


I constantly find t-shirts look unflattering on me, which means that I rarely wear them. There have been quite a few tops that I neglect because they just don't fit how I want them to, but all have cute graphics. Due to this issue I have finally decided to take some action and fix them, a journey which I am going to share here with you guys.


Here's the original piece that needed altering. I love the colour and pattern, but I wanted it to be a different style of top.
 I have created a list of everything I used for the DIY:


+ T-shirt (to alter)
+ New top (we will transfer design over)
+ Fabric scissors
+ Sewing equipment/fabric glue
+ Buttons (decoration)
+ Iron
+ Tea (for energy)


My first step was to iron both pieces of clothing to ensure that they would line up properly. 


Next, I cut out my design from the old t-shirt, leaving gaps around the edge in case of mistakes.


Now it was just a matter of securing the picture onto the front of our new top with pins. I chose a crop top as my new piece, as I find them more flattering with the things I usually wear. 


This step is all down to personal preference. You can use fabric glue here if you'd rather avoid sewing, as it would work just as well. I decided to sew mine in using a sewing machine to get a clear edge, choosing a light thread to allow the stitches to show up, giving it a different design. 



Here I added some buttons onto the shoulders of the top, which I think makes it even cuter, as well as breaking up the solid colour. I sewed these by hand, something which took a lot longer than I thought, but definitely worth it.


Here we have the finished product as part of an outfit I threw together for relaxing in the evening sun. 


Hat: Topshop
Original top: Redbubble
Crop top: Newlook
Shorts: Urban Outfitters
Socks: Newlook

The transformed top should finally get some well-deserved love and attention.

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, I will see you again next week!


A special thanks to Geoff: the brains of the operation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment